Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Erroneous verdict v. Civil rights Action

Customer Question

Erroneous verdict v. Civil rights Action?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Please explain what you are asking about.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When is it best to file an Erroneous Verdict Complaint or Civi Rights Action or can you file both?
There is no such thing as an "erroneous verdict complaint" it is known as an appeal. When someone gets a judgment against them that they do not believe is proper, then their course of action would be that they have to file an appeal to have the court of appeals review the case and determine if there were legal errors made that warrant the case being either overturned or sent back to the lower court for a new hearing.

As far as a civil rights violation, that is a completely separate type of case and you can file that if some constitutional right other than this bad verdict is at issue.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a such thing as erroneous verdict insurance?
Yes and no. An erroneous verdict is when there is a verdict that is improper based upon the law. But there is no special action against anyone for this verdict, it is handled, as I said above, through an appeal to the higher court. When you file an appeal you must list the errors of law or fact or procedure made by the court and it is up to the appeals court to review the transcript from the court below to determine whether or not the verdict was proper.