HPlawyer
HPlawyer, Attorney
Experience:  GA Lawyer
17407822

I received a letter today from the State of Alabamas District

I received a letter today from the State of Alabama's District Attorney's office stating they were reviewing their outstanding warrant list and discovered they had a warrant for my arrest for worthless checks. They enclosed a copy of two checks that were written Aug 12 1989. They are my checks but I honestly can not remember if I went to the store they were written to and covered them. If I did I do not now have proof that I did but I can't see myself not taking care of something like this. My question is there a statue of limitation on a warrant for worthless checks in Alabama. I moved from Alabama in 2005 and now reside in Florida. It just seems if they had a warrant on me for 21 years it should have come to light before now. Thank you.
Expert:  HPlawyer replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, there are no statute of limitations on warrants. I personally find it to be quite ridiculous; In fact, I recently saw a situation where someone had to come into court for an outstanding warrant that was approximately 35 years old and the charge was even more minor than writing a worthless check. Fortunately, the judge dismissed the warrant and the charge. Accordingly, you're actually going to have to deal with this situation.