lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

We built a cabin on our friends property. He has 40 acres

We built a cabin on our friends' property. He has 40 acres in Alaska, and said, "build yourself a cabin!" So we did. No written agreement. He is now selling the property, which includes our cabin. He says, "get together your receipts." We are worried that he will not pay a fair amount, if anything. Can we file a lien against his property to insure that we get compensated for our cabin?
Yes you can. You would have an equitable claim to the cabin. The best thing is to simply figure up what you have spent and ask him to sign a contract to pay you at the closing. I hope that you can work it out since it will be expensive to file in court. However, that would stop the sale.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What if he won't sign a contract to pay at closing ? And is it only what we have spent that we can include, or does labor count? My husban and I built it ourselves.
You can sue for the actual value of what you have built. However you can expect to spend between 5,000 and 10,000 on attorney fees.