Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts

Can my mothers nursing home attach a lien, for her outstanding

Can my mother's nursing home attach a lien, for her outstanding bill, to a home she no longer owns? Her home was transfered to myself and my sister while she was in a retirement community. She has now been transfered to their assisted living unit and they want to attach a lien to our home to pay her bills? Can they do this?

No, they cannot lien this property without a judgment, and since you and your sister own the property, they would never be able to receive a judgment to lien a house that your mother doesn't even own anymore. They are blowing smoke. Unless you or your sister signed something saying that you would be responsible for your mother's bills in the event that she did not pay them, then the nursing home cannot come after either of you. As far as kicking her out, that is a possibility if she cannot pay the bill to stay there. If you feel your mother should qualify for the program that they have for the residents that run out of money and that she is being unjustly denied, you need to follow-up with an elder law attorney who can look into this matter for you. You can also follow-up with the PA Attorney General, which is the agency that oversees all businesses in the state. If you have any more questions, please let me know. If not, please don't forget to accept my answer so I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and you will be charged nothing further for pressing accept. Thank you!