Juliana
Juliana, Attorney
Experience:  23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney
17008935

what is statute of limitations in california for the crime of forgery

Expert:  Juliana replied 6 years ago.

I am a licensed attorney, and former prosecutor. I will be happy to answer your question.

The statute of limitations on forgery in California is three years from the date of discovery of the forgery. Here is a link to the statute of limitations in California:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=799-805

Hope this helps,

Juliana

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

you received an earlier version of my question. i reworded and sent but apparently you received the old version. My question was: A warrant was issued in November 2002 for forgery in California. Is there a statute of limitations on the warrant and charge filed with it .

Expert:  Juliana replied 6 years ago.

I'm not sure why I received the older version of your question, but that's what was posted.

At any rate, there is no statute of limitations on warrants. They last forever. As to the underlying criminal charge of forgery, the statute of limitations stops running as soon as the charge is filed. To put it another way, the statute of limitations pertains to how long the prosecution has to file the charge from the time it is discovered.

Hope this helps,

Juliana

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does the issuance of a warrant constitute the filing of charges
Expert:  Juliana replied 6 years ago.
No. The charge is filed first, and when the defendant fails to appear in court to answer to the charge, the judge issues a warrant so that law enforcement can pick up the defendant and bring him/her to court to answer to the charge. The underlying charge and the warrant are two separate things.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so then charges have most likely been filed in this case in your opinion
Expert:  Juliana replied 6 years ago.

Yes, charges would have already been filed if a warrant has been issued.