How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question

Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 90490
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can you file charges against someone for slandering your name

Customer Question

can you file charges against someone for slandering your name? i have a text message saved that says "think they would arrest me for slandering your good name, give me a break, ridiculous". which shows the person admits they are slandering me.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
It is not a violation of criminal law to slander someone, so the police would have nothing to do with it. If someone has made known false statements to a third party about you AND those statements have caused you actual damage (meaning financial damages) then you can sue them in civil court for the slander/defamation. However, the person telling you they would not be arrested is very accurate.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.


You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK but how is it not against the law when they are slandering my name on the internet (aka Facebook) for others to judge and see? I think that should be some type of defirmation of character??
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
It may be, but to sue in court you need to be able to prove some actual damages. There is some exception for slander/defamation per se, it involves comments like saying someone has a sexual transmitted disease or has a criminal record they do not have, but other than that, you need to prove some actual damages and then you could sue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well for one thing i have been caused physical and mental pain in my pregnancy due to stress from this person slandering my name on Facebook, saying that I cheated on someone when I didn't....saying I caused harm/lies/etc to my family and I have not done that....basically saying she hopes my marriage ends in a divorce, etc.

what would i do with that kind of info?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Mental pain and suffering is not something that is compensable UNLESS you have some other actual monetary damage to prove. If there was some actual monetary damage THEN you could collect for the mental harm. The reason the courts require actual damages is because it prevents the courts from being clogged with every case where someone says something bad about someone because they don't like them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what do you mean "unless you have some other actual monetary damage to prove"?

this stress from her slander and lies has caused me to have pains physically in my pregnancy Crytitle="Cry"/>
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
I understand your frustration and anger. I mean like someone making these comments and it causing an employer to fire you or an employer not to hire you or cause you to lose some financial deal. Actual monetary damages. One possibility, but it is a stretch, is a possible suit for the common law tort of false light, which is part of the invasion of privacy torts, where someone publishes false statements to portray you in a false light in your community. But these cases are very difficult to win, since people do have First Amendment rights to express their opinions and because the courts are very skeptical of these claims, but it is a possibility if you are willing to spend the money on an attorney to file this suit and as I said as it is nowhere near close to a guaranteed win so you would have to pay an attorney by the hour and likely about a $3500-$5000 retainer to even take the case.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i just think it is strange that if this is causing me physical pain with my pregnancy that there isnt something i could do? i mean what happens if the stress was so bad it caused me to have a misscarrage??
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
You could try also a claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress in addition to the false light claim, but again, these cases are very difficult and expenses to bring and the courts do not deal in hypothetical what if it causes a miscarriage. I do understand your frustration, you just need to be aware that it is just very difficult and costly to sue over these types of issues, if the courts did not set such high standards then anyone could sue for any comment made about them. I did not say you had zero chance, but it is not going to be a slam dunk open and shut case.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions