lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

I got a divorce in February of 09. My ex-husband was on my

I got a divorce in February of '09. My ex-husband was on my voluntary group universal life insurance. It was a voluntary life insurance that was deducted through my paycheck. My work has a 30 time frame to make changes to benefits whenever a life changing event happens. I missed the 30 day time frame after my divorce and figured I had to wait until my company's open enrollment period to drop him. When the open enrollment time frame came up, my company switched benefits providers. I thought I would be dropped from the life insurance (I just found a notice they sent out saying that the policy would convert and I would be responsible for policy premiums). My ex-husband committed suicide 2 weeks ago (I don't know what is listed on the death cert). I didn't even think this policy existed and I just got a bill in the mail for it and it is active. The 2 year exemption on suicide has passed. Do you think I am eligible for this payout? What questions should I ask to make it go my way
Submitted: 4 years ago via USLaw.
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
Were you getting child support or alimony?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I made more money than him. Neither of us paid alimony or child support. Our three children are eligible for his social security death benefits.
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
One of the problems that you may have is whether you had an insurable interest in his life. If he was paying child support or supporting minor children or paying alimony you could claim that the insurance was to protect that interest. Since you have minor children that would still be a viable argument. Call the company and get a claim form and submit it and see what they say. Do not give them an interview or respond to any questions without consulting with an attorney.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you believe I need to note or tell them on the claim that we are divorced or do I submit the claim and let them do the investigating?
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
Submit the claim form and truthfully answer all the questions. That is all you are required to do.
lwpat, Attorney
Experience: Actively practicing trial attorney