Have Legal Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.
He is not looking to sell the property, he is looking to rent it to prospectives.
No it was not for a limited time. It was until I got all of my licenses which he knew would take time. This same process is used by other facilites in the area that needs a federal license to operate. Time is always given to the tenant becasue they know that these spaces cannot be used without the proper permits. I kept him updated on step by step detail as to what was happening and why some was taking longer than others. The final approval permit from the city was received on March 22, 2010 but he doesn't know that. He is thinking that the license that I received in on January, 13, 2010 was it but it was not. I did'nt know that either until a few weeks ago. Which without that one I can not have operated as a terminal.The only thing I have done so far in the place was use it to collect earthquake relief supplies for Haiti which I had told him about and he said that it was okay. I have not started any business there yet. I was waiting to hear word about when Haiti would start to open up again becasue of so much damage. I then told him that I will pay now and start the lease.
To make a long story short he wants to date the lease
starting January 1 2010. We are now in March so he wants three months rent plus security deposit which will bring me to $50,000 without even starting yet.
The permit was designed only for me and my company he cannot nor any other use it to operate. He is telling me know since I have paied $15,000 my balance will now be $35,000 tomorow. I said to him that I was expecting only to pay the $15,000 remaining to start the lease.
He is not agreement with that . I told him that I would have to cancel the plan for the facility and he is going to have to start over with the next tenant and fall further behind because he would not get paid by this new person until they get their license too. I was very understanding until today so I don't know what happened.
P.s. I have kept every communication document. He even try to give me a 3 day notice a month ago but he decided to squash it once I told him that I had not started yet.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).