Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

can any immunity applies on behalf of a community college who

Customer Question

can any immunity applies on behalf of a community college who is breaking its own refund policy and refuses to refund a student tuition fees (tuition paid out of pocket)?
Expert:  LegalEase replied 4 years ago.
What is the policy being broken?

Generally, community colleges are state funded and therefore anybody acting on behalf of the college has immunity from suit and liability.

Can you give me some back ground on how they broke their policy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the refund policy stated that a full refund applies when the is withdrawn from class in the bigining of a section.
I was an international student at the time, had to stay enrolled if I wanted to keep my immigration status but failed to enrolled during a section due to personal circumstances.
The international student advisor put me out of status due to failure to enrole.
I came back on the following section and explained the reason why i could not get myself enrolled at the time. and the international student advisor told me that I could be reinstated if I can get myself enrolled for the next section which I did I enven paid two semester ahead not knowing that this enrollement was illigal because the advisor failed file the appropriate paperwork for the immigration to reinstate me in there system I was arder to leave the country at the time but when i showed my evidence to the immigration judge, It was clear that the school had made a mistake somewhere down the line with my reinstatement so.... I lost my tuition investement which is about $4500 out of pocket money I attempted to recover that investement but the president of the college told me that I did not have sufficient evidences to prove that it was their mistake while a federal immigration judge had already told me were the school had made a mistake I then. file a law suit against the school and that's where I heard about the immunity but I did not have the refund policy with me at the time to show the judge that according to the policy, I am entitle to a refund because my enrollement was illigal at the first place and the school was responsible for it and i didn;t get to use my investement.
Expert:  LegalEase replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for explaning, I'm going to opt out and see what advice other experts can give you, you haven't been charged.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.