How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BizAttorney Your Own Question
BizAttorney, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2273
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
BizAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued for 1 million dollars from an AA in which I

Resolved Question:

I am being sued for 1 million dollars from an AA in which I rear ended a car that had stopped to make a turn. The driver fractured his nose but was not wearing a seat belt. There are 2 witness's. Can they sue me for my primary home if they are not adequately compensated through my car insurance. I have no other assets.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  BizAttorney replied 7 years ago.

It depends on how much your home is worth. In New York, IF YOU'VE FILED YOUR HOMESTEAD with the county recorder. The exemption for a homestead is limited to $125,000 if the property was acquired within the previous 1215 day (3.3 years). The cap is not applicable to any interest transferred from a debtor's previous principal residence (which was acquired prior to the beginning of such 1215-day period).


So while you are being sued for that dollar amount (even though their damages are not likely to be that high), your home is protected from creditors (including judgment creditors) up to the amounts listed above. Good luck!

BizAttorney and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you