xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims

I have a issue where I removed a female associate from the

I have a issue where I removed a female associate from the sales floor after she caused a verbal argument with a customer in our store. The associate was being held back because the associate who was working with her, was trying to stop her and the customer from fighting. I walked up to the female and took her hand and walked her off the floor into a back office where a male asst manager and a female supervisor. While she sat in the office, I returned to the sales floor only to find a customer who advised me of the same. The customer she was arguing with paid for her items and left. The associate was written up due to the argument and she has done the same in the past. The company is now coming after me for taking her hand and removing her from the floor. What should I do.

Thank you for using!

Are there surveillance cameras that captured all of this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Well, then, you should calmly listen to what they have to say. If what they say does not mesh with what you recalled happening, then you should ask if it would be possible for loss prevention to play back the related cameras for all of you to see. Once the footage has been played back, then take the discussion from there. That way, hopefully, everyone is working from the same page.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
and if not, what would be my next step
Listen very carefully to what they say, what questions they're asking. Do not be argumentative. Do not cut them off. Take the time to answer their questions to the best of your ability and help them to understand why you took the actions you did and what you were trying to accomplish.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

understand but if they don't and they fired me, do I have a recourse

If you have an employment agreement or handbook which says that you are an at-will employee or that your employment is at-will, then, no, you would not have any recourse.

This is because, as an at-will employee, you can quit at any time, and your employer can terminate at any time. It doesn't matter the reason or whether it's true or not. When one is "at will," they serve at the pleasure of the other.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
understand so no slander on her, and they can do as they please
Yes, exactly correct.