Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

do manufacturers do not ship damaged ro disassembled produ

Customer Question

do manufacturers do not ship damaged ro disassembled products?
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 6 years ago.
Dear JA Customer:

Can you expand on your question a bit, we are not sure exactly what information you are seeking.

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I just want to know the law that states that a manufacturer cannot ship back to customers any product sent to them for thourough check up, so it was disaasembled and broken into pieces and those pieces cannot be ship back out of the manufacturer for safety reasons. Thanks
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 6 years ago.
Let me make sure I understand what you are asking. You sent a product back to the manufacturer for repair and the manufacturer shipped it back to you in pieces, that is unassembled. You want to know if there is a law that prohibits the manufacturer from doing this?

First, it would depend on the product, so you are going to have to be a lot more specific.

Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I manufacture audio cables. The cables was damage by flood. The owner sent it back to me for thorough inspection and report for insurance claim. I told him, once

I received it and disassemble it, it will be all broken and cut and will never be returned to them.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I haven't heard from you yet?

I have read before about the "safety law". So broken/disassembled cables like

powercords should be ship back once take apart.

Let me know

Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry, I was off line this morning. I have been researching various statutes including homeland security issues and the postal regulations. I am not finding any 'law' or statute that says you cannot ship disassembled audio cables. Unless there is mercury or some other toxic material, that the regulation covers the material, let me know.

I have looked at electronic waste standards, etc, but all they say is where to take for recycling and or how to ship.... It seems that most electronic waste including broke CTUs are shipped from the US to Ghana and other developing countries.

Let me know if there is something toxic, and I will send the regs on those, otherwise, I will open the question to someone else who may find something I missed.

Thank you