Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I have purchased a parcel of land at a tax sale. I find that

I have purchased a parcel of land at a tax sale. I find that a portion of a house is on the property. The rest of the house is on the neighboring parcel of land.

Can I demand from the house owner the removal of that house portion or the payment of ground rent?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 years ago.

Having a home sitting on more than one parcel of land is very risky. My guess is that a CA real estate lawyer is going to tell you that you cannot enforce the removal of the home or collect ground rent. What you have bought is a cloud on the title to that home. The homeowner is never going to be able to sell or mortgage his home as long as you hold title to a small piece of it, so sooner or later he will have to negotiate with you to re-purchase it . That is, unless he has some legal defense to the tax sale. You are probably going to spend a considerable amount of time in court defending your purchase.

Please click on the green ACCEPT button so that I will be compensated for this answer. Bonuses for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you have any follow up question feel free to ask it. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer.