Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I had a construction manager who did bids for me who wrote

I had a construction manager who did bids for me who wrote a contract with a client without my knowledge. The contract was not on one of my contract templates but on a form from Staples with my information hand written in. The worker took all the money in cash and I never heard about it until the homeowner filed a complaint.

Now the homeowner is sueing me, my company, the worker, and my bond company. Can I be liable even though I didn't know about the contract, it wasn't my form, I didn't sign anything and I collected no money?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
You can be liable, but if you hire a lawyer and fight it you probably won't be. You can blame the "criminal acts of another" and that should get you out early in the case.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.