Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.

In 2008, I loned a old welder to a friend of mine, to work

`In 2008, I loned a old welder to a friend of mine, to work on his truck in a friend's garge.Two mouths later, I stoped in at the garge to get my welder back. The fellow who owned the garge told me that no way I was going to get the welder back.He said he paied a guy $300.00 for the welder. I tried to go through civil court to get my welder back, and was told i did not have a case. I want to file a criminal act agaginst the owner fo the grage for theft by deception. My question is, when does a civil matter become a criminal matter? Should I get a lawer and file charges?
Douglas Osgood [email protected]
Expert:  Jack R. replied 6 years ago.

This is a civil matter. You need to file suit against the individual you gave the welder to. The individual your friend is liable to you for the cost of the welder. The garage owner if he paid for the welder has not committed a crime. The garage owner did not commit theft by deception, he bought a welder from your friend.

If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.