Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

My husband saw an MD at Emory ENT about white patches on his

My husband saw an MD at Emory ENT about white patches on his tongue for 8 years-- 3X's per yr. The MD is a reputed researcher, teacher at the Emory Clinic in Atlanta, Ga.
At the beginning of May 2009, my husband began to experience pain, as a little crack appeared on the side of his tongue.
He called the ENT for help. After several days, the clinic called him back & said "Just come in at your regular appointment on June 28."
By the end of June, the little crack had developed into a tumor the size of a silver dollar with a dime-sized raw spot in the middle. My husband was in constant pain.
A biopsy of the tumor was confirmed "squamous cell carcinoma". We consulted with another ENT, who said, "These white patches are a precancerous condition. I would have lazed them off a long time ago."
By the time of his surgeory, the cancer had metastisized to lymph nodes, and appeared in both lungs.
He has 6 wks. to 6 months to live.
Is this a Medical Negligence suit against Emory & the MD

Hello there:

a physician commits medical malpractice when they do not perform the standard of care prevailing in the profession. If the average ENT physician would have identified the spots as pre-cancerous and lanced them, there is probably a good case there.

I am so sorry for what you are going through. Let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Who would you recommend in the Atlanta, Ga. area to handle this case? I would like as many referrals as you can generate who specialize in medical malpractice/negligence.

Thank you so much for your help.

I typically refer customers to www.martindale.com when looking for an attorney with a specific type of practice. Martindale lists most of the world's attorney of geographic area, type of practice, years of experience, etc.; it is also the tool that most attorneys use when searching for other attorneys with expertise outside their own. There is no guarantee that any one attorney is willing or able to take any particular case, so there is almost always some searching involved (even with a specific recommendation), but Martindale typically facilitates that search. You know what you are looking for in an attorney and who you will feel comfortable with better than I do, so I am inclined to point you here.

Another option is to use www.avvo.com. AVVO rates attorneys; if you are in the industry, you may see that an attorney or firm boasts an "AV rating"; AVVO is basically a peer-reviewed entity that rates attorneys by experience, reputation, knowledge, etc. The grades are AV, BV, and CV. AV is the highest rating. Again, there is no guarantee that any one attorney will be able or willing to take or review any particular case, but this is the place to start.

Last of all, before hiring any attorney, you should search for them specifically at their state bar website to check if they have had any disciplinary actions taken against them by their bar. If so, that should be a warning flag.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much! Have a great weekend.
Thanks. You too :)