socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am in a leadership position for a non-profit organization.

Customer Question

I am in a leadership position for a non-profit organization. We have one lead contract staff to manage our daily activities. This contract staff has proven to be invaluable on many levels to our organization. However, at times her personal passions for projects seem to take priority over the will of the board. This has lead to dropped projects and missed deadlines(the other projects excel). When this occurs, the blame direction points at me as the leader of the board. Most recently, she failed to communicate a significant meeting date in a timely manner. Now as I am unable to make the meeting time, she has put me in the "hotseat", indicating that I am responsible for this issue. While attempting to remain personally neutral, I frequently feel undermined as a leader. The fact I will be unable to attend this meeting will allow her to forward her agenda. I need to be respectful of other individuals time, but am tempted to reschedule so that all can participate. Suggestions?
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

What exactly is your position? Also, please note that I will be logging off for a bit, but I will provide a thorough answer tonight.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am president of the board.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
One more question - what type of organization is this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a professional membership organization that supports a community(i.e. while its members are professionals, the mission and vision is to serve the community, not the professionals)
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
I am going to opt out of your answer and let another expert opt in to help you. No need to respond to this message. Additionally, you do not have to stay online – your question will remain active and an email will be sent to you as soon an expert answers it. My apologies for the inconvenience. You have not been charged. Good luck.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

I see that the other attorney has decided to opt out of your question. Please permit me to assist.

If you are the president and an employee is thwarting your authority, for purely political purposes, then there is one simple solution:

Terminate the employee.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.