Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
14472836

I was just approached by an old girlfriend of mine. She says

I was just approached by an old girlfriend of mine. She says that we have a 19 year old son together but that she does not want me to contact him. It is unbearable to not know. She says that she has known it was my child since he was 10 so I have missed out on 9 years of not knowing my "potential" son. She says that she is going through a divorce with a man she married when she was pregnant with this child and it is getting ugly and she just did not want him to reach out to me first. It does not seem fair that she has kept it from me. She even has told the child that i am his father. This is crazy. It is turning my life and family upside down and I can not believe that I can not take action against her for keeping this from me. It does not sound logical. I could reach out to the kids but I do not want to mess him up if she is wrong.Can I sue her for something, emotional suffering or something similar? She is playing games and has willfully kept this from me.
Expert:  Jack R. replied 6 years ago.

There is nothing you can do at this point. The law presumes a child born to a married couple is the husband's. A challenge to this presumption must occur within the first few years of the child's life.

If the child knows your the biological parent, and since child is an adult you can reach out to the individual on your own. If the individual is willing you can establish a relationship moving forward. There is no legal restriction for you to re unite with the child.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand. However, as she willingly knew this and kept it from me how is that not an issue? She is demanding that I not contact the boy, I know from your response that this does not matter. I am just sitting here thinking that I have missed out on a lifetime with my son and that just does not seem right! She can just make that call on her own? How is that fair?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 6 years ago.

She has no control over whether you contact the boy. This is now between you and your alleged son. She said she knew when the boy was 10. The only way to know for sure is a DNA test. What you really have is a strong suspicion at this point. I know this is difficult, but would you have insisted on a paternity test illegitimizing him when he was 10. The man that raised him would not have willingly given him up.