xavierjd
xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
14261217

My 20 year old son received a ticket for MIP in Michigan, and

My 20 year old son received a ticket for MIP in Michigan, and because he had been on probation for a previous MIP (no, he was no longer on probation) he did not appear for his court date, hence a bench warrant has been issued. He has since moved out of state and was notified by the Michigan DMV that his drivers license has been suspended. Because he is scared, I can not convince him to return to Michigan to take care of this matter. What happens now, when he gets pulled over in Minnesota?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Does your son have a MN driver license?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No he does not.

Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.
So he's still driving on his MI license?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

If he gets pulled over in MN, he can be arrested for driving on a suspended license. That is a separate crime. He will have, effectively, dug himself into a deeper hole.

Good luck and best wishes. I hope that you find this information to be helpful.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will he be extradicted back to Michigan?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.
No, MI will not pay to have him picked up and transported back. The MI warrant will remain outstanding and his MI license will remain suspended until he decides to return.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, to help me build my arguement trying to convince him to come back and take care of this, will he be able to get a MN drivers license?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.
Nope. MN will check his MI record, see that he's suspended and refuse him on the spot. MN will honor MI's suspensions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

A couple of more questions, what would you recommend as the best way for him to handle this if I can convince him to return to Michigan? Turn himself in to the police dept, or county court? How would he (or I) find out money he would need to have with him when he turns himself in?

Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Anyone can call the court and find out how much the bond is on the warrant. He can go to the court, post the bond, and get a new court date.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.
You are most welcome.