INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

I need to cancel my personal training contract at Golds Gym.

I need to cancel my personal training contract at Gold's Gym. The trainer that signed me up said I would be able to cancel at any time but there would be a fee. I am trying to cancel now but the trainer that signed me up is gone and everyone is giving me grief. There is no "buy out clause" (as they phrased it) and they're saying I can only cancel if I meet the requirements of relocation or transfer the contract to someone else. Neither of these will work. On the other hand, there is nothing saying I can't cancel my contract outside of those conditions. Any suggestions?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. If you need more details after you read my answer, click reply (not relist) & I will gladly respond. You can do so if the contract permits per its terms. If not, it becomes a harder case and you would argue the terms were misrepresented to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How would I effectively argue that the terms were misrepresented to me? It was the manager whom I was working with that told me I would be able to cancel.
The manager told you terms that you relied on and even though the contract does not permit it, the manager should not have misrepresented or defrauded you and you reasonably relied on his promises and he as the company's agent can bind them to it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was told that since there was nothing attached to my specific contract relaying that the manager said I could cancel, my options hadn't really changed.
Legally that is correct but if they affirmatively misrepresented the terms in the contract, you can pursue cancellation on that basis reporting them to the BBB and dept of consumer affairs based on improper business practice, fraud and misrepresentations.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
These avenues can take weeks or months if they come to any resolution at all, good or bad. Is there anything further I can do for more immediate effects?
A lawyer can try to pressure them into a quick settlement.
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses