legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas

how do I put my moms house in my name without a big expense

Customer Question

how do I put my mom's house in my name without a big expense? She wants the house in my name so she can go into a nursing home and not have the burden of the house.
Expert:  legaleagle replied 6 years ago.
You draft a title transfer from her to you and then just file with the county clerk where the property is located. There is just a filing fee of $20 or so.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where do i get a title transfer and is it considered legal? Will she have to wait 7 years before she can claim no assets so she can get help to go to a nursing home? Also what if my brother is still living in the house but doesn't want it in his name.
It is easy to draft a transfer. Just look at the current title and draft one just like it from your mom to you. She will have to wait 5 years from the transfer for it to not count as her asset for Medicaid. If you will allow him to remain there when you are the owner that is fine if not, you would have to evict if he will not leave willingly.