How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do I put my moms house in my name without a big expense

Customer Question

how do I put my mom's house in my name without a big expense? She wants the house in my name so she can go into a nursing home and not have the burden of the house.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
You draft a title transfer from her to you and then just file with the county clerk where the property is located. There is just a filing fee of $20 or so.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where do i get a title transfer and is it considered legal? Will she have to wait 7 years before she can claim no assets so she can get help to go to a nursing home? Also what if my brother is still living in the house but doesn't want it in his name.
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
It is easy to draft a transfer. Just look at the current title and draft one just like it from your mom to you. She will have to wait 5 years from the transfer for it to not count as her asset for Medicaid. If you will allow him to remain there when you are the owner that is fine if not, you would have to evict if he will not leave willingly.
legaleagle and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you