J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

do misdemeanors cross state lines if you have a misdemeanor

do misdemeanors cross state lines? if you have a misdemeanor in SC and get the same misdemeanor in TX will the SC misdemeanor show up? thank you
Yes. Criminal records are national these days.

When your record is pulled in Texas, it will reveal your SC charge/conviction.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
even if in SC i took a PTI which expunged the charge? i was never convicted and that was when i was 19 and i am now 31. over 12 years ago. is there a limitation on a charge? would this be considered my 2nd offence even tho a different state? i know several guys that have dui's in different states and have not done jail time. my charge was possesion of marijuana under 2 oz considered a mis
If the charge was expunged, then it won't appear on your record.

If it wasn't expunged, then it will appear, even if it was dismissed and over 12 years ago.

If it was dismissed, your new charge won't count as a second offense. And, even if it wasn't dismissed, the 12 years between charges will minimize the effect. That is, it won't be nearly as significant in the eyes of the court as if it was, for example, a year old.