Lawmoe
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Lawyer with 19 years of litigation experience in state and federal court systems.
3560666

my former husband is away , i wentto his, our former, home..not

my former husband is away , i wentto his, our former, home..not to take anything..just to look, i tried the garage door.. it was locked, i opened the car door and looked in.. i left,, could he see something fishy check for fingerprints and charge me
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 6 years ago.

If you are divorced and he was awarded that home, you could be charged for entering the premises without permission. Depending on the state, the charge may be breaking and entering or burglary. That generally means even walking into an open garage. WIthout entry to the dwelling, the only possible charges would be for trespass, but that would seem unlikely.

Thank you for Choosing JustAnswer. Please CLICK ACCEPT BELOW so that I may be compensated for my work.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so i didn't enter house or garage, I tried the door knobs though and touch them. I do not think i would have gonn in if they were locked, just looked. i did take from care a demtal bill and paper from his work.. of no comtent,,, what was in me? what if a neighboor saw the car
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 6 years ago.

If observed, it is possible that you could be charged with a trespass for being on the property or theft for removing a dental bill and paper from work. It would seem unlikely, but it is possible.

It is not something I would suggest repeating.

PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT BELOW