Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Lawyer with 19 years of litigation experience in state and federal court systems.

my family thinks our public defender is not concerned with

my family thinks our public defender is not concerned with our case and only wants to make deals. we want a new att. we do not know how to proceed. the trial date is in april. the d.a. is wanting to offer deals. we dont have much $ to work with right now but in 3 months we Will be able to afford a high $att. if we can get a new att. will it change date & if so will it be enough time for new att. to get aquainted w case and/or us to gather loot.
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 6 years ago.

You would have to hire a private attorney. You do not get to choose your public defender and most judges will consider a dismissal of any public defender as a dismissal of the public defender's office as a whole.

A new attorney may seek a continuance of the case. In most cases, it is granted. However, it is entirely up to the Judge and may depend on how long the case has been pending and whether any prior continuances were granted.

Thank you for Choosing JustAnswer. Please CLICK ACCEPT BELOW so that I may be compensated for my work.