Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney

I have a loan with a company called HC Processing Center for

I have a loan with a company called HC Processing Center for Hearing aids I bought.
I have had finacial problems and I am late on my payment. This company called one of my neighors across the street and left a message on their answering machine saying if they know me please leave a message for me to call them and left their name and number. How they got my neighbors telephone number I don't know.

Is this leagal. This is a privacy issue and calling my neighbors does not seem fair to me.

Is there anything I can do?
Expert:  WALLSTREETFIGHTER replied 6 years ago.

Not if the collector knows your name and telephone number and could have contacted you directly. When contacting your family members including minors or neighbors to find out how to locate you, the collector:

• Cannot tell others you owe a debt or discuss details of the account.
  • Must identity himself, (by name, but not as a debt collector).
  • Must identity the name of the collection agency only if asked.
  • Can only contact the party once unless the collection agency has reason to believe the person has new information.
  • Cannot leave information about a debt on a third party's answering machine or voice mail service.

Contacts with a spouse, the parent of a minor, a guardian, co-signer, executor, or administrator are considered the same as contacts with the debtor under the FDCPA.

Since they have your address and phone number they should be sued under the fair debt collection act, you could sue them for upto $10,000 for the violation.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

They did not say they were collecting a debt they just left a message asking them if they knew me to have me call them.

They know my name address and telephone number. They also leave messages on my answering machine.

Did they violate my privacy?

yes, their is no reason for them to call, as they have all your information already.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How much would it cost for me to hire you? To sue for the remember of my loan?

we cannot take cases, but in your local area contact a debtors attorney, below is a list of CA attorneys who may take your case.