How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if a company overpays you due their mistake. Can they recoupe

Customer Question

if a company overpays you due their mistake. Can they recoupe the funds without signature aknowledgement
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legaleagle replied 6 years ago.
They either have to have you agree to have the money deducted from an account or sue you for the return. But they will win a judgment since they did overpay you, even if it was their mistake.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
By me agreeing does that mean that they can not deduct the funds, though its not disputed, without me signing an acknowledment
Expert:  legaleagle replied 6 years ago.
Even if you agree that you owe them the overpayment, if you do not sign an agreement for them to deduct they can not deduct.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there a legal rcw that I can look up for more informatoin
Expert:  legaleagle replied 6 years ago.
what state?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tacoma, Washington
Expert:  legaleagle replied 6 years ago.

RCW 49.52.050

Rebates of wages - False records - Penalty.

Any employer or officer, vice principal or agent of any employer, whether said employer be in private business or an elected public official, who

(1) Shall collect or receive from any employee a rebate of any part of wages theretofore paid by such employer to such employee; or

(2) Wilfully and with intent to deprive the employee of any part of his wages, shall pay any employee a lower wage than the wage such employer is obligated to pay such employee by any statute, ordinance, or contract; or

(3) Shall wilfully make or cause another to make any false entry in any employer's books or records purporting to show the payment of more wages to an employee than such employee received; or

(4) Being an employer or a person charged with the duty of keeping any employer's books or records shall wilfully fail or cause another to fail to show openly and clearly in due course in such employer's books and records any rebate of or deduction from any employee's wages; or

(5) Shall wilfully receive or accept from any employee any false receipt for wages;

Shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the information, I do apprecite you.


I have not signed an acknowlegdement, can they still recoupe?????.

Can they take partial payments out until said funds are recouped, is this decision granted by the employer or is there a law that the recoupe in one lump sum.???????


I contacted the corporate office and spoke with a payroll representative and was told that it can be taken in partial payment, but it had to be agreed upon by the job site operations manager. It will be a finacial hardship to say the least


2. If a doctor requests that the company do an ergonomich evaluation of the employee's works space that is NOT ASSIGNED, for health reasons, do they have to do it and who pays for the evaluation the company, the medical insurance or the employee??


I understand what happened and I am not disputing it. I just do not feel they are ethical in handling the situation. Its a call center, they wont even assign you a seat daily, you have to find your own seating, its a mess but THANK GOD FOR A JOB TODAY.

Expert:  legaleagle replied 6 years ago.

No they can not take out any money without your written agreement. They have to have your agreement.

2. No the company does not have to do it just because the Dr. requests it but if they do they can either pay for it, charge you (but get your agreement first) or ask for you to claim it through insurance.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.