JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
1969057

Can a teacher be sued by the principal for videoing a staff

Can a teacher be sued by the principal for videoing a staff teachers meeting on her cell phone? (The principal was throwing a fit in the teachers meeting.) It was a full teachers meeting and the teacher was supposed to be there. The video was not shared but others knew of its existence. Word got back to the principal and she sent several harassing emails to the entire staff and today the principal called the teacher in and told the teacher that she was going to sue her. The teacher broke down and admitted that she took the video but did not share it and that it had been deleted. The principal went on to degrade the teacher even stating that the teacher was a pretend christian while the principal was a true Christian.
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

Unless a private student matter was being discussed, I can think of absolutely no legal justification for a lawsuit. Also, if a private student matter were being discussed only the parents would have a potential lawsuit... certainly not the principal. Further, the teacher should report this misconduct to the principal's superior. There is no reason for a principal to act in such ways.

Please reply if I can help further.

________________________

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.