Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My daughter was physically assulted last night by her husband

Customer Question

My daughter was physically assulted last night by her husband and was serverly beaten. During the struggle she head butted him and he had one small mark on his face. She is bloody from head to toe, and she was the one who is now arrested and in jail. She has yet to hear her maranda rights, yet to be seen by any medical personal after asking for help several times and is now faceing charges against her even though she was the victim in this situation. What can I do to help my daughter?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Were they both arrested or just her? Were either drunk? Has she been charged or is she in the 72 hour window of not yet being charged?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Just she was arrested, he was drunk, she was not. She was arrest between 8-9 on Clearwater Fl. She will be going in front of the judge between 10-2 today.

Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
Last question - is he willing to work for her defense, or is he being a jerk and wants charges?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
From what I understand her husbands intentions are unclear. The officer that took her told her that he was arresting her because the last two times that they were called to the residents she lied and said that he didn't beat her because he threated to kill her before she opened the door. She told the officer this last night that she was scared for her life and he still took her. Her husband is an Iraq vetrean that is diagnosed with PTSD and has a history in the military with three court marshalls revolving around physical assults in one case he beat a german civilian terribly the through him down the stairs, which resulted in two broken legs.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
You need to hire her an attorney immediately. It is doubtful that they will charge her. Just in case, go to the local media. Chicle, but it works - expose how a veteran beats his wife and she gets arrested. No DA (elected official, remember) wants this kind of publicity. She's let go under 72 hours, charges dropped. If for some reason they aren't, she'll never be convicted.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ORANGE ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”