Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I received a bill from a collection agency from an apt my son

I received a bill from a collection agency from an apt my son had rented along with 3 other roomates while he was going to school.He moved out in summer 2008.About 2 weeks ago I get a letter from a collection agency saying he owes them 1400.00 for damages of the apt in question.This is the first time we heard about this so called debt.I contested it with the collection agency and they send me a bunch of copies from the lease ?? and a handwritten bill from the apt. complex with a couple of listed charges,cleaning 150.00,
painting 200.00,new carpet and installation 450.00 and 600.00 misc..600.00 misc. I don't think so.We where never contacted by the apt. complex 1 1/2 years later we get a bill from this collection agency ? What do I do next.Can I file against apt complex somehow?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Is the bill in YOUR name?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No rhe bill is in my sons name along with his mother as a co-signer so the each received a bill from the collection agency.I am handling it.I send certified letter to the collection agencysigned by my son and ex-wife.they in turn send me a packet of copies of the lease and the handwritten bill .
Ok, now did they do a walk-out inspection before moving out, do you know?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not with my son or his mother present i believed they did one when it finally became vacant from the other 3 tenants each tenant had there own lease agreement.My son was the first to vacate and he gave proper notification in regards XXXXX XXXXX effect
Ok, they cannot demand it unless they can prove the damage. Tell them that in a certified letter. Chances are, they took no photos, etc. If they insist, file a Declaratory Judgment in small claims Court, which is like like saying "Judge, here's the deal...who's right." 90% of the time they just drop it b/c they don't want to deal with it.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ORANGE ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”