PlotinusLaw, Attorney
Experience:  14 years of experience in all areas of family law.

My Son is in texas on probation and we would like to have him

My Son is in texas on probation and we would like to have him home on probation in Louisiana.He has no one in texas and we would like him to serve his time here with us his parents.I heard of something called Interstate Compact, Can this help and what is it? We need to know can he get his probation tranferred to Louisiana?
Expert:  PlotinusLaw replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for your question and for using JustAnswer. The short answer to your question is yes, the Interstate Compact can help your son transfer his probation supervision to another state. The Interstate Compact is a multi state agreement allowing for the transfer of probation or other supervision programs to other states. The first thing your son needs to do is send a written notice to his parole officer, requesting a transfer to the state of LA. The parole officer looks at the plan and makes a decision if it will be within the same scope and guidelines that the state of Texas has laid out in terms of parole. If he grants the request, the application is sent to the Texas compacting office for approval. If Texas signs off on it, it is then sent to the LA compacting office for approval. An investigation takes place in the LA compacting office. If they approve, they will accept transfer of supervision. Here is a website that will detail all of the required information;

I hope that you have found this information helpful. If there is something that I have not explained clearly, or, if you are dissatisfied with the answer, please don't hesitate to ask a follow-up question. Also, please remember to click on the green "accept" button so that I may receive credit for this answer as well as any comments or feedback you may have. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. I wish you the best of luck in pursuing your case.