How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PlotinusLaw Your Own Question
PlotinusLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 738
Experience:  14 years of experience in all areas of family law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
PlotinusLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently over seas and I put an offer for a house in

Resolved Question:

I am currently over seas and I put an offer for a house in san diego ca. Is it possible to give someone in san diego power of attorney while I'm over seas
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  PlotinusLaw replied 7 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for your question, and for using JustAnswer. The short answer to your question is yes, it is possible to give someone in Dan Diego power of attorney while you are overseas, as long as all of the requirements of the CA uniform power of attorney act have been met. Here is a URL to the act itself for your review;

In addition, here is a URL to a statutory form power of attorney;

The biggest requirement of the act is that the signature of the principle be under oath and acknowledged, which basically means it must be notarized. I would suggest that once you have the form prepared, you take it the US embassy or consulate for whichever country you happen to be in, and have someone there witness and notarized your signature. Then you can send it to whomever your designated principle happens to be in the States for their signature. In addition, please note that there are filing requirements within the statute as well.

I hope that you have found this information helpful. If there is something that I have not explained clearly, or, if you are dissatisfied with the answer, please don't hesitate to ask a follow-up question. Also, please remember to click on the green "accept" button so that I may receive credit for this answer as well as any comments or feedback you may have. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. I wish you the best of luck in pursuing your case.
PlotinusLaw and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello Mr. Kohler,


Yesterday I wrote you about giving Power of Attorney to someone but I'm outside the USA. The property I am buying is in California. You had suggested the forms for Ca. power of attorney. I forgot to mention that I am a Florida resident does this matter???


Thank you for your quick and good advice yesterday


Victor Mosher

Expert:  PlotinusLaw replied 7 years ago.
It only matters if the property you want to give power of attorney over is within FL. Based on your post, because the property you are purchasing is in CA, you are going to be within the jurisdiction of CA courts. As such, you are going to want to use CA power of attorney laws and forms.
PlotinusLaw and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions