Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My divorce was made final on Nov 13th. We agreed to joint custody.

Customer Question

My divorce was made final on Nov 13th. We agreed to joint custody. My x however left with my daughter on a supposedly vacation/business trip on nov 16th and relocated with our daughter I had to retain an attorney to have her return. The judge set a court date for 3 weeks after the judgement was filed which puzzles me. My court date is set for Feb 2 2010, tomorrow and my attorney is stuck in Chile because of the earthquake. He wants to adjourn for another week. In the meantime my x flew back to the state with my daughter and I dont wish her to leave with her again before the new court date. Should i go before the judge on the 2nd on my own.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

You can go before the Judge on your own if you'd like and have the hearing, OR you may go and ask for a continuance. Ask your attorney to put in a Motion for Continuance too, if possible, and the Judge will likely grant one continuance as a "freebie" to you like they usually do in family court.You may also, of course, have a new attorney sub in, and then demand most or all of the money back from the old one who could not make it.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ORANGE ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”