Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

i had a date with girl .she is 20 years old we went to bar

Customer Question

i had a date with girl .she is 20 years old we went to bar and i bought her 3 drinks .after that we was in my car when we start kissing ...but she get mad and she left the car ...after that i went home ..but i was surprised when the police men came to my house and asked me about what happened coz she called them and they wrote me a notice to appear that i had sexual battery.... i'm so afraid ..is that some thing very serious
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Do you have any priors?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no this my first time . and my first date in USA i moved to here 4 years ago
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
Why did she get mad? Where either of you intoxicated?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we was littel drunk ... and first kissing it was fine but after that she told me stop but i kissed her and then she left the car .i went out from my car follow her and i told here sorry let me give u aride home but she told me no thanks i called my friend and he or she will gave her a ride.. so i left home and i thought it's ok it's just miss understood
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
So you continued to kiss her even after she told you to stop?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes but it was one kiss ...
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
Well it was one kiss too much, it seems.Tell the police exactly what you told me. It is VERY doubtful they would charge you. They just want to talk to you. You didn't hit her, you didn't beat her, you didn't force yourself on her, you were both drunk, and you kissed her once - there's just not enough for a charge there.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ORANGE ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so nothing very serious....but they told me i w'll have court date and i might go to jail
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
So they are charging you? Or just want to talk to you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
they told me they want talk to me after that they gave me yallow paper and told me to go to plice station in 60 days but i didn't understand if i'm charging
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
If they had charged you, you'd be arrested. You're not charged yet. They want to hear your side of the story. Go there, and be honest wit them, BUT IF YOU CAN AFFORD AN ATTORNEY TO GO WITH YOU, HIRE ONE.If you don't go, they will assume the worst and WILL charge you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hi Eli
i went today to police dept and i found out that i'm charged and i have court date at may 21 ... so is that mean i'll go to jail
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
Well, I am sorry that you are. But that does not necessarily mean that you will go to jail. You only get sentenced if you are found guilty. I think from what you told me, you have a very good chance of being found NOT guilty. If you do go to trial and if the hearing is by Judge (“bench trial”), the Judge decides. If the hearing is by Jury (“jury trial”), a unanimous Jury has to decide towards one way. Although a criminal court is automatically set up to be heard as a bench trial, you can request a jury trial. Defendants usually prefer a jury trial since it’s harder to convince a few minds, rather than one.

At this point, I would advise hiring an attorney.