Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

What is Tn. law pertaing to use of ATV,s and off road vehicles

What is Tn. law pertaing to use of ATV,s and off road vehicles onstreets and roads?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 years ago.

Hello Operator: Here is the entire section of the Tennessee Code Title 55, dealing with vehicle registration and use on roads and highways. It is quit long. http://www.atvsafety.gov/legislation/Tennesseelaw.pdf

Here is the particular section covering ATVs:

(a) Off-highway motor vehicles defined in § 55-3-101(c)(2) may be operated or driven

upon a highway but only as follows:

(1) On a two- lane highway, only to cross such highway at an angle of approximately

ninety degrees (90ø) to the direction of the roadway and at a place where a quick and safe

crossing may be made;

(2) With respect to the crossing of a highway having more than two (2) lanes, or a

highway having limited access, such off- highway motor vehicles may cross such highways, but

only at a place designated by the department of transportation or local government authorities

with respect to highways under their respective jurisdictions as a place where such motor

vehicles, or specified types of such motor vehicles, may cross the highways, and such vehicles

shall cross such highways only at such designated places and only in a quick and safe manner;

and

(3) The department and local government authorities with respect to highways under their

respective jurisdictions may designate, by the erection of appropriate signs of a type approved by

the department, places where such motor vehicles, or specified types of such motor vehicles, may

cross any highway having more than two (2) lanes or having limited access.

(b) Off-highway motor-driven cycles defined in § 55-3-101(c)(2) may be moved, by non

mechanical means only, adjacent to a roadway, in such a manner so as to not interfere with traffic

upon the highway, only for the purpose of gaining access to, or returning from, areas designed

for the operation of off-highway vehicles, when no other route is available. The department or

local government authority may designate access routes leading to off- highway parks as suitable

for the operation of off-highway vehicles, if such access routes are available to the general public

only for pedestrian and off- highway motor vehicle travel.

(c) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, three- or four-wheel all-terrain

vehicles may be operated on State Route 116 between Railroad Street and Beech Grove Lane

within the jurisdiction of Lake City in Anderson County. Drivers operating vehicles in such

manner shall obey the rules of the road and operate with due care. While on the authorized

portion of State Route 116, such vehicles shall display tail lamps and headlights. Headlights on

such vehicles shall, under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road, produce a driving

light sufficient to render clearly discernible a person two hundred feet (200') ahead. A violation

of this

section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine only

of not more than fifty dollars ($50.00). [Acts 1982, ch.

749, § 2; 2005, ch. 60, § 1.]

Please click on the green ACCEPT button so that I will be compensated for this answer. Bonuses for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you have any follow up question feel free to ask it. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer.

Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience: Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.