Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Is there a mediator that would work with me to try to get my

Is there a mediator that would work with me to try to get my attorney's fees lowered. I am out of my mind with worry over this debt. I have tried to work with the finance dept of Panos & Associates to get this debt lowered, but according to them this is not an option.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Are disputing the legal fees?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I'm disputing these fees, because I cannot afford to pay them. When I retained this attorney I told her I had no way to pay these fees. She told me not to worry as my ex-husband would be responsible for them. The judge however, did not rule that way. He said my ex-husband would only have to pay $3000 of these fees, which leaves me $20,000 in fees.
Thank you for the additional inforamtion.

Now back to your question:

Response: You would need to contact your local bar association, not Illinois State Bar Association and ask to be referred to Attorney who can mediate your fee dispute with your attorney. There may be a fee associated with this service depending on the local bar association. Click on the link below to find which local bar association would cover your area and then go to its web site, if available or call directory assistance for the phone number, if there is no web site:

http://www.isba.org/leadership/affiliatedbars

http://www.illinoislawyerfinder.com/faq.html

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more question. Would filing bankrupcy relieve me of this debt?
What kind of case was this? A divorce case?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
You can discharge the fee in your bankruptcy filing.