Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I have been scammed over the internet for $7000.00 by an individual

Customer Question

I have been scammed over the internet for $7000.00 by an individual who claimed to have an account with ebay , I used western union to send money to a suppose to be ebay agent, the person had copywritten information from ebay, there was camera footage of this person they signed and showed id for the money, but not a single enforcement such as police or FBI will help they say they dont have enough funds. I contacted in enough time to hopefully catch these people and maybe get some of my money i have worked so hard for but no one will do anything, I would like to sue someone for my money and the stress they have caused me and my family, Do you think I would have a good chance in winning a case such as this?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 years ago.

It's not whether or not you have a good case which will be your problem. You have been cheated out of both your money and the goods you bargained for and you would have a cause of action in civil court. You would need a lawyer but would possibly be able to find one who would take your case on contingency.

However the big problem that I see is locating your defendant. It's usual with scams like this one involving advance fees to discover that you have not dealing with any real names, addresses and phone numbers. This is what I meant back in my first sentence. If you have nobody from whom you can recover, you have no chance of winning.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.