Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

this is probably a no brainer.. IMPORTING TOBACCO PRODUCTS

Customer Question

i need business related importing/exporting advice
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
What kind of information do you need?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is it legal to import glass tobacco products?
Could you elaborate a little, please ? What do you mean by glass tobacco products ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

sorry, i mean like glass pipes and water pipes to smoke tobacco out of.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
like what you would find in a typical smokeshop
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
(just reloading the page, no rush)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i wish this site was more user friendly.. are you working on my question or should i open it back up?

We had some tech problems about an hour ago and everything is backed up.

We actually research questions and do not give an answer off the cuff. Your patience is very much appreciated

ANDREA
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry never used this before. just wanted to know if you were researching. thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
(bump)
I researched the import laws and did not find anything in the "prohibited items" list, so if it's not prohibited, an importer is allowed to import it
__________________________________________________________________________________

Positive Feedback, BONUS, are nice ways to say “Thank You” for the Expert’s time and effort in assisting you

If you have questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for allowing me to assist you and Good Luck!

ANDREA, JD, LLM

Member, NY & PA Bar

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i have been ordering them, and out of the blue a package of them was siezed by customs. what should i do, since apparently it is legal?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
sorry, i am in a rush to figure out the answer i have to ask someone else
Very politely ask the Customs Agent to show you the section of the law which he is using as his basis of authority to confiscate the imported items. If he is claiming that this is "drug paraphernalia" ask the Customs Agent again for the section of the law which specifically describes your items as "drug paraphernalia".

He will not be able to give you any law or section of the US Code, because there is no such section which lists what you described as a prohibited item, in which case you can demand at that point that they return the items they seized.

If it were illegal, it would be on the prohibited list and you would not have been permitted to import the items in the past.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

ANDREA, JD, LLM

Member, NY & PA Bar