Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My van would not run or start because I did not put antifreeze

My van would not run or start because I did not put antifreeze in it, and on a cold winter night in Show Low AZ, the coolant froze, the belt snapped when starting, and the the engine block cracked, which rendered the van worthless. Yes, I'm an idiot for not adding antifreeze, but I didn't know that at the time. I took it to a repair shop (4x4 Performance in Show Low AZ), and told them I thought it was the radiator and the belt. They fixed those things without ever realizing the true problem - a cracked engine block, even though I told them the symptoms and any competent mechanic would have jacked up the car and seen the problem before starting expensive repairs. Now they want to charge me $700 for repairs that are worthless, and they are holding my van in their garage and not allowing access to my personal possessions inside it. Is that legal? I made a mistake and so did they, so I'm willing to compromise, but they are not, and I need my belongings. Is there a way out of this?
The shop has a mechanics lien on your vehicle
that allows it to keep your property until the bill is paid.