John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

I co-signed a car loan for my daughter. She lost her job and

I co-signed a car loan for my daughter. She lost her job and she tuened the car back in to the dealer. A couple of years passed and a collection agency came after me. We made arrangements for me to repay. The last time I tried to pay, they told me they no longer have the account. After three years another company is coming after me again. Can they do this?
Expert:  John Legal replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for asking Just Answer:

Have you or your daughter paid anyone for the car in the last 6 years? If not then the statute of limitations for collection of a written debt is 6 years in Georgia and they would be barred from collecting the debt in court if it is more than 6 years.

Even if the statute has passed they still can sell the debt from collection agency to collection agency and harrass you. They just have no legal right for collection 6 years after your last payment. Collection agencies can sell this debt multiple times and none have to honor any agreement the prior agency has with you unless it is in writing.

Please click Accept so that I receive credit for my response. A bonus is a great way to say "Thanks."