JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal

An old friend of mine, whom I have not associated with in 10

Customer Question

An old friend of mine, whom I have not associated with in 10 years, claims that in 1998 she loaned me $2000. I have no memory of any loan. She claims, and I qoute from an earlier email this week that she "never stressed it was a loan, but thought of it more as a gift". From my understanding from earlier legal advice, that a claim against me would have had to be made within 6 years, it had been almost 12. I have asked for documentation (cancelled check) to see if this can jog my memory. The earlier advice I did receive stated that in essence at this point any restitution on my part would be more moral rather then legal. Try as I might I can remember no such gift. If it was a loan, why was I not told that and why did her recent email state that it in fact she did not see it as one. Any help is appreciated.
Expert:  JD replied 4 years ago.

The advice you received is correct. It is also correct that this is more of a moral decision than a legal one.

How else can I help you?

Please reply with any follow up questions you may have...

________________________

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

Edited by JD on 2/28/2010 at 2:03 AM EST
JD, Lawyer
Experience: Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This was perfect, thank you for time JD. I might add that this "request for repayment" also came with an email stating that she is trying to pay off student loans and that her profession requires a little more "training" which costs money. At no time have I accused her of attempting to cheat or defraud me, but I have stressed on more then one occasion that I simply have no memory. Further, even it had been intended as a loan, why was no documention ever made showing this and why now after 12 years are you asking for it back? The "loan" statement aside, 12 years is a long time and any claim ended years ago. Moral rather then legal, yes. It now falls me to decide if the "friendship" is worth saving.
Expert:  JD replied 4 years ago.
I wish you the best. Please let me know if I can assist you further.