Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Lawyer with 19 years of litigation experience in state and federal court systems.

Hi, I do personal training and have a client that is very disrespectfu

Hi, I do personal training and have a client that is very disrespectful, not following the plan, and is a great deal of disruption. I did not create a clause in my agreement that I can cancel her for reasons as such. She hurt her shin 2 weeks ago. I do have a clause that says she assumes responsibility for any injury she incurs during the program. What are my options if I cancel her contract? Can I be sued? I also have proof of the difficulty I've experienced with her via email.

Your contract controls. If she is in breach of a term, it can be canceled. You can be sued, likely for the balance of any fees paid where services remain rendered. There is no liability for injury unless the customer can show that you breached a duty of care expected of as trainer given her fitness status or particular physical limitations.

The fact is, anyone can sue. The question really is whether the suit would be defendable and whether the damages make it likely a suit would occur. It would seem if you used care that is expected of a trainer and had no exercises that would fall outside the scope of reasonable, your defenses would be great.

As a person who uses a personal trainer, I thank you for your service.