Lawmoe
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Lawyer with 19 years of litigation experience in state and federal court systems.

I am uninsured and my 16 year old daughter was not aware of

I am uninsured and my 16 year old daughter was not aware of that. She rear ended another motorist. The woman is pregnant and went to MD. NO one was hurt and her car has minimal damage. My fear is my daughter will lose her license for my stupidity. Is there hope she will keep her license?
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 4 years ago.

If insurance is required in your state, she can be cited for driving without insurance. If that occurs, she will likely lose her license. The length of the suspension depends on your state. In many states, it is 30 days. In such cases, often I have been able to negotiate resolutions where the conviction and license loss is avoided. Generally, it requires acquiring insurance and providing proof that you have it now, and paying any restitution to the other driver for any damages.

You would be wise to consult and retain a lawyer in your state.

Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: Lawyer with 19 years of litigation experience in state and federal court systems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do I need to turn anything in to the DMV?
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 4 years ago.

No. The officer likely asked your daughter to provide proof of insurance. If she cannot do so, she will receive a citation with a court date by mail in most cases.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
police were not called the other driver took my information over the phone from me. she told me she turned it into her insurance company and thery had her file some form through the dmv.
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 4 years ago.

That opens up some opportunity to avoid charges altogether. It is unfortunate that the other party reported it before you could seek resolution.

You will likely receive a notice from the DMV seeking insurance information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so do i need to turn in a form to the dmv too? how do i avoid the charges?
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 4 years ago.

No. You will be notified by mail.

PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT BELOW

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 4 years ago.
Good luck to you and your daughter. I am sure it will work out.
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)