LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Is there a time limit for filing an arbitration

Is there a time limit for filing an arbitration?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Arbitration under what circumstance? Please provide additional details.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
An arbitration was filed against my company for breech of contract. The ruling was in favor for the other party. The arbitration was overturned in a court of law due to several mistakes made by the arbitrator and their attorney. After several months (14) they have decided to file in district court as well as re-arbitrate the case. The dollar amount is $21000.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon,

Well, since the arbitration was already filed in the first place---and you went through arbitration---a question as to a time limit to file an arbitration is not relevant.

It is inappropriate to have both an arbitration proceeding and a federal case going at the same time as regards XXXXX XXXXX claims.

If the initial arbitration was mandatory before going to court, then they have fulfilled their obligation to arbitrate.

I presume that your company has an attorney. If it does not, you absolutely need one on the case now.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the orange Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug