JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
1969057

this morning a neighbors dog jumped my fence and attacked my

this morning a neighbors dog jumped my fence and attacked my pit bull. I've had my dogs since they were puppies and they are a hugh part of my family, unforturenly I now also have two small children and stastistic say that once a dog has the taste for blood they never loose it and i'm now in fear for my children. Do I have the right to ask the owner to pay to have my dogs put down, and or compensation for my losses. A little back round his dog jumped into my yard the last two days and they got into a little scuffle yesterday and the neighbor across the street has been looking for its owner since Tuesday we she found him running the streets. Also as soon as I brought my dogs into the house they attacked my lizards cage and tore it to shreds and finally ended up killing my lizards.
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

Since this has happened immediately prior to the incident we are now dealing with, your neighbor has been placed on notice of his/her dog's tendency to jump the fence and cause damages. By not taking immediate action to restrict their dog from jumping the fence again, your neighbor could certainly be found negligent and responsible for all resulting damages. I would consult a local attorney and send a demand letter that included all the damages you have sustained from this animal. If the neighbor refuses to cover the expenses you may have to file a lawsuit.

Please reply if I can help further.

________________________

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.