Justice For All
Justice For All, Attorney at Law, JD
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal experience /family law, general practice, and criminal defense.

if I write my moms name on a check with her permission to

if I write my mom's name on a check with her permission to pay bills and other business affairs for her and my dad while she is out of town is that forgery
Expert:  Justice For All replied 6 years ago.
Forgery is using someone else's signature with an intent to defraud so technically, it's only forgery that will get you in trouble if there is an intent to defraud. So long as you are in agreement that you are signing for her you shouldn't have any problems. However you could be hassled by third parties such as people getting the checks (and depending also on other business affairs you are referring to) if they refuse to take them seeing different signatures. Unless you have reason to believe she is going to call you out for forgery I wouldn't worry much. Husbands and wives do this all the time, I think it is easier too for creditors etc to accept when you are family. Hope this helps. Please don't forget to hit accept, this is the only way we get credit for our work. Good luck and God bless.