Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

I have been on Long Term Disability and Metlife is my insurance

Customer Question

I have been on Long Term Disability and Metlife is my insurance carrier for 1 year and 2 months now, (I will be ineligible to receive any additional benefits at the 2 year mark). Metlife had a lawyer assist me in applying for SS Disability and after an initial denial I am now receiving SS disability and Metlife supplements as well. I was required to sign a affadavit prior to the law firm representing me, stating that if I received a 'back payment' from SS Disability I would be required to pay Metlife the "overpayment". Thru Metlife's lawyer I repaid Metlife the "overpayment" I received from Social Security (approximately $25,000) in December of 2009. In January of 2010, I received a letter from Metlife saying that I overpaid them and I would receive a "direct deposit" into my account in the same approximate amount of $25,000. I just received a phone call telling me that the $25,000 deposit was an error & I have to pay them back asap. What are my rights? Do I have to pay them back?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
What do you want to accomplish?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I expected that this was a legitimate overpayment since I did everything that was requested of me as per the attorney representing Metlife/me. And since the attorney also fulfilled their obligation to Metlife and reimbursed the 'backpayment' to Metlife. Naturally when I received the letter stating it was an "overpayment" and I was entitled to a refund, I assumed that the deposit that Metlife refunded me was mine to keep and would like to do so.

Was the overpayment sent to you in error?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Metlife called today and said they "sent me a letter in error stating that I overpaid them and was due a refund, and that they also inadvertently credited my bank account in error"

You need to demand proof of your account and all payments and charges to confirm which version is correct.