xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims

Exactly how many weeks of unemployment are available in the

Exactly how many weeks of unemployment are available in the State of Florida?

I've heard 33, 72 and 99 weeks. Which is correct?

Thanks for using

Are you currently on unemployment?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. My last day was 7/28/09

Originally, all states gave persons eligible for unemployment 26 weeks of benefits. In February 2009, President Obama's Stimulus Package added an additional 20 weeks of benefits for all states. Moreover, in high unemployment states (including Florida), an additional 13 weeks was added. That totaled 59 weeks.

Moreover, state of Florida recently approved an extension of the unemployment benefits by 20 weeks as a result of Senate Bill 810 sponsored by Sen. Rudy Garcia, R-Miami and Rep. Dave Murzin, R-Pensacola. This applies to unemployed persons who have already used up the previous maximum of 59 weeks of unemployment benefits. The legislation allowing this EB extension was signed by Governor Charlie Crist.

So.....the maximum allowable benefits (if you qualify) is 79 weeks.

Good luck to you. I'm in Michigan....we are a state also extremely burdened with HIGH unemployment. Hopefully, you will become employed very soon!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks sorry about MIchigan - it's really scary.

Just a little further - You stated 79 weeks if one qualifies - would you please define "qualify". Should I be saving "documents" as proof of qualification for continued benefits. I've done a ton of interviewing, and snail mail, internet job search sites and email resume.- but haven't kept any records so to speak. Have had many interviews but I am a little expensive and cannot see myself working for 30K yr just to have a job....(at least not just yet). I am 63 going on 43, fairly young looking, with a terrific attitude. I have a good self image, but factor age, a backgound in banking and making into the $70Ks puts me in a difficult place. I'm confident but realistic!

Here are a few guidelines you can use to determine eligibility:

• You are totally or partially unemployed.
  • You exhaust all entitlement to regular and emergency unemployment compensation (EUC) benefits prior to February 22, 2009 but your benefit year ends after February 22, 2009.
  • You exhaust all entitlement to regular and emergency unemployment compensation benefits after February 22, 2009.
  • You are not eligible for unemployment compensation benefits in any state (including Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, The District of Columbia) or Canada.
  • You satisfy all requirements of the Florida UC Law that apply to regular UC and EB, such as being able and available for work, and have not been disqualified from receiving benefits based on your reason for separation.
  • You actively seek work for each EB week claimed and provide the work search record as instructed.
  • You do not refuse an offer of suitable work or fail to apply for suitable work.

If you qualify for the extended 20 weeks then you still have to apply - go to and click on the big red "Extended Benefits" square near the top of the right side of the screen. The actual link which will open up the application form is here. You can also fill in and mail the EB application to the address indicated on the EB notice/application you will be receiving in the mail.

YOU NEED TO KEEP DOCUMENTATION OF EVERYTHING!!! You need to go back and recreate anything that you don't have (if possible) and keep everything going forward.

Finally, below please find a link to the State of Florida Workforce Innovation. You need to review it for the filing an original claim, extensions, etc.:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Many thanks for your time and effort! Now I will do my part!
You are very welcome. Good Luck, and THANK YOU!