Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

can the person i co own the property with change the locks

can the person i co own the property with change the locks on the doors and provent me from entering my own house. or can a renter do this aswell.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Who is on the lease - both of you?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
both of us own the property together and we both on the deed of trust
You say "can a renter do this as well." Do you both rent, then, from the landlord? And are you married or not to the other tenant?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no we were partners but now we just own the property and have a renter who has now has become the boyfriend of my ex partner but started out as a renter now thay heve changed the locks while i was gone.
So both of you are landlords, and the tenant, who is now involved with your friend who is also a landlord, changed the lock? With or without permission from your friend? Also, is the rental agreement still ongoing or is it up?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no the renter is not a landlord he's just renting a room and thay are trying to kick me out but i own the property. is changing the locks legal.and can i inter my residends at any time because it's my primary residends.
Hehe, we're getting all tangled up. I am sorry. Just one more time: WHO is the tenant? WHO is the landlord? And how is each related to each? Thanks for bearing with me on this. I'm just trying to give you the best answer possible.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I xxxxxxx and co owner xxxxx are the only two owners of the property and the renter has no part in this property he is just a renter who has some how found a way to stay without paying rent.

Edited by Fran-mod on 2/21/2010 at 1:48 PM EST
Ok. NO IT IS NOT LEGAL. Since he is not paying rent and has changed the locks, a landlord CAN evict him for breaking contract. See here for a flowchart of how to do this and length of time:http://www.expressevictions.com/flowchart.phpSee here for the forms:http://www.expressevictions.com/forms.php

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ORANGE ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am asking if the co owner can change the locks and lock me out of my house were I now live.
Ok, I am sorry, it's just obviously this is an entangled affair. NO. The co-owner may NOT change the locks on you. If they do, you are in every right to break the lock to get back in (or use a locksmith). If this continues, you may have to file a Temporary Injunction to prevent this from happening again. Sorry for the back and forth.