JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal

can someone sue me for child neglect I left my 17 1/2 year

can someone sue me for child neglect? I left my 17 1/2 year old alone for the weekend and friend of my son says that the friend's mother is going to sue me for child neglect.
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

Absent some circumstance that would indicate you abandoned the child's needs during this weekend (food, shelter, clothing, safety) you should have no worries. There is nothing wrong with leaving a responsible 17 year old teenager at home for the weekend.

Obviously you need to consult local counsel if anyone attempts to take action against you... but this is a ridiculous threat.

Please reply if I can help further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

Edited by JD on 2/18/2010 at 4:16 AM EST