JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal

can a landlord insist that there be no alcohol allowed in the

can a landlord insist that there be no alcohol allowed in the house
Submitted: 6 years ago via LawDepot.
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

A landlord may impose any restrictions they wish as long as those restrictions are contained in the lease and are not discriminatory in nature. If the landlord decides to impose restrictions on the tenants after a lease is signed then he/she would risk a lawsuit unless they wait until the lease renewal to impose the new restrictions. Of course, some leases permit a landlord to impose new restrictions for good cause.

A careful review of the written lease is in order.

Please reply if I can help further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.